Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Transitions: Moving

The Roberts family is heading in a new direction and we couldn't be more excited to embark on this new journey for our family.  We're moving! Yep, you heard that correctly. March 1st, 2014 will be the big day!

Although we dreamed of this day coming for years - it's not exactly as we expected, but we KNOW God has a bigger plan than we could ever image. Our dreams included moving into a home we purchased and make it our own, however that dreams been put on hold until we decide if we're going to stay in Wisconsin or if we want to travel to another state, such as Tennessee or one of the Dakota's. For now, we're moving into an apartment about 20 minutes from our current living headquarters.  This transition is only the start of a new chapter! I'm excited.

I have yet to have a chance to get to the new apartment to take pictures of the unit (for this posting) however, that will come shortly after we begin to move. Over the years I've collected so many different home accessories and decor that I fear having to piece it all together in four short days. I know my style and Greg's are similar and we'll have no problem with the decoration process, but my OCD perfectionist tendencies tend to get the best of me in moving situations. I promise you, within a day or two, our entire apartment will be set up as a home and everything will be unpacked, even if it takes 30 cups of coffee and a sleep deprived me to accomplish it.

My biggest fear with this transition? Our 3 year old husky/lab mix Juno. He's been in our currently living arrangements since the day we brought him home and he's not used to an apartment, but instead a house, with little to no noise from neighbors. He's used to people coming and going, but he's always been able to greet them right away. I know he'll be fine and I'm just a worried pet momma, but I can't help but take precautions. Here's a few things we did to make his transition easier:

  1. Bought wet food - I read many articles about this topic and we won't use it if we don't need it, however most pet parents said that their animal stopped eating for a few days when moving, and they had to mix wet food with dry food for a week to get them back onto their normal eating schedule. Juno has never had a typical eating schedule to him being a husky, so this may not even affect him.
  2. Bought new toys and brought some of his old toys to the new place so that when we go to move boxes, or unpack, he has some new (excitement) but some familiar toys, too.
  3. I did NOT wash his dog beds. I wanted him to have his safety of the smell of the old house with him to help him adjust to the new apartment. However, within a month of us moving, I'll probably wash both of them because I typically do them 2-3 times a month to keep them sanitary and prevent the hair build up.
  4. Made more frequent trips to the dog park: Juno has ALWAYS been a dog park dog, if that makes sense. He loves to run, socialize and swim. We've made sure that his daily routine of walks and trips to the DP weren't interrupted.
I pray this new transition for our family goes smoothly and we ask that you do the same for us. Thank you for taking the time read our news and share in our joy. We couldn't be more excited!

Posts to look forward to in the new few weeks: Bare Apartment walls to a decorated home & A view into our 09/21/2013 wedding via our photography pictures. We look forward to sharing this journey with you.

xoxo the Roberts

1 comment: