Thursday, March 13, 2014

Teaching: St. Patricks day crafts and fun

Tomorrow the district I work for has off school, so I went onto Pinterest to try to find some fun and entertaining ways to get the kids excited about St Patricks day! What did we do before Pinterest?! I honestly have no clue. Our days off program is open on days off school from 6:00a-6:00p. 12 hours! It makes for a long day, so sugar + fun is a definite must to keep them occupied and behaving.

*Disclaimer: I found these ideas on pinterest and copied the pictures straight from my saved boards. I just figured I'd share them with you, since most of you have kids of your own.

We'll start our day coloring and making traps on the four tables I covered with a huge white roll of paper. This will probably be their favorite part, because they get to be creative and have no limits as to what they can do. I can not wait to see what they create :)

A few more ideas I've got for the day include:

1) Making a maze throughout the playground using rainbow colored yarn with a treat, or "treasure" of lucky charms and green milk with FUN straws at the end of it. I know they'll LOVE this part. Who wouldn't like to have a special treat of lucky charms?!


2) We're going to be using green, yellow, orange and red peppers to make Shamrock paintings.


& lastly, we're doing a science experiment! I spent a good 20-30 minutes tracing large Shamrocks, which they will cut out & then I'll mix 1/4 cup green paint with 3/4 cup of baking soda. After they're done painting, we'll squirt them with vinegar! The kids shrill with excitement watching it fizzle & bubble.

I hope these crafts help you have a little bit more of an exciting Saint Patricks day with your kiddos, and if they don't - and you chose to celebrate other ways, then I pray for your safety and smart decisions. I know we'll be celebrating by staying home, snuggling and watching The Voice! We're obsessed!!!!

Happy Saint Patricks Day to you and yours.

xo The Roberts




No comments:

Post a Comment