Monday, February 3, 2014

Social media break

I decided that this week I need to refocus our lives and let go of my addiction to social media. I know some may not consider this an addiction, however, I do. I watched a video on Facebook a few days ago (linked HERE) that hit home pretty hard. This specific video focuses on the use of a cell phone blocking out human to human communication, along with the effects it can have on many of the relationships in your life. Phones have become such a big part of our culture that people are forgetting to take a step back and really look at the world and who is around them. I don't want to be that type of person, much less that type of wife or mother (in future tense).

Social media has become a big part of my life due to running an online rummaging website on Facebook. I've recently emailed the other administer on the page and announced my removal from it. I would spend hours upon hours on the website removing items that had been sold, correcting drama situations among members and making sure people were following the rules. It wasn't fun for me anymore. It caused me to need to be on my phone a lot more than I ever thought was possible. Sure, I'll miss being the first to see all items posted, but I'll gain a whole lot more in the process of removing myself.

Our Pastor preached a message this Sunday on why we believe what we do about water baptism, and our identity as Pentecostals. I love attending a church that has new members and allowing myself to still learn every service. I left this service thinking about the time I give to God daily, and what I ask of him or what I thank him for at the beginning and ending of each day. I realized that I spend more time on social media than I do giving to God in prayer, reading and study. That's not who I want to be in life. God paid the ultimate sacrifice for me (and you!) and we should not, under any circumstances, allow social media (or the media in general) to pay a bigger role in our lives than Jesus. I discussed this with Greg and we both agree that what is best for our walk with Jesus, together and individually, is to take a step back and give more of our day to our savior, than we do anything else.

In order to do that, I need to take a step back from all the popular social media sites such as instagram, facebook and twitter. I know there's more but those are the ones I typically use daily. Will I be back in the future? Definitely. I do believe that a healthy amount of these website is good for you - at least in the sense of keeping in touch with family and friends from out of state or whom you don't see on a daily basis. This is also good for advice. 

In other news:
Our family is in for some big changes in the next few months, regarding living arrangements, and we couldn't be more excited. We've tried to keep it hush hush, because we're not quite sure where we are going to be moving yet but we do know that we need to find a healthier environment for me and my husband. I can't wait to see what God has in store for us in the next few months! 

We wish you all a blessed Monday and the beginning of February - xoxo the Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment